[mswindowsxp] Re: XP Home

  • From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:59:08 -0800 (PST)

The host PC must be a Pro box, but literally any version of Windows back to
Windows 95 can quickly and easily connect to a Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop
Connection host. Windows XP (both Pro and Home versions) comes with the
necessary RDC software onboard. All these earlier versions of Windows --
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98

Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 2000 -- can also
function as Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection clients. To do so, they need
only install a 3.4MB downloadable RDC client program whose filename is
MSRDPCLI.EXE. The software is freely available from the Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

You can also find the client program on the Windows XP Pro and Home discs. To
install the Remote Desktop Connection client from the XP CD to any of the
approved versions of Windows, insert the disc into the client machine's CD
drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and click

Install Remote Desktop Connection.

Installation is fast and straightforward. In use, the separately installed
client operates exactly the same as RDC works under Windows IFor more
information, check these references:

Remote Desktop Connection Client:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02January28.asp

Using Remote Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

The RDC client program is also backwardly compatible with Windows 2000 and
Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition. When using the newer client to access
those older servers, you get the features of the original Terminal Server
Client.

 Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't feel bad - I always hate to go wading through the MS site too trying=
=20
to find simple answers.

But no, I don't think XP Home will do this. Try this link from a google=20
search (no MS-wading required):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/de=
fault.asp

>To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:
>=B7 Windows XP Professional installed on your office computer, or=20
>whichever computer you plan to operate remotely. This computer is known as=
=20
>the host.
>=B7 A remote computer running Windows 95 or a more recent version of=
=20
>Windows. This computer is known as the client and it must have the Remote=
=20
>Desktop Connection client software installed.

Just use Netmeeting instead.