[mswindowsxp] Re: Windows Explorer question

  • From: Jim Walls <k6ccc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:57:48 -0800

Joe Parker wrote:

I would like to change what fields Windows creates when directory is created. I know how to change it once a directory is created, but I would prefer not to have to change it every time I create a new directory.

I don't think there's a separate field for year; it's just a hash that includes the year in a single field.

I know there's a ton of 3rd party software to change folder dates, but the need for same has always escaped me. Why would I want a folder dated some other date than when I created it? Why do you need to do it for every folder you create?

In my own modest music collection, it's never occurred to me to even _look_ at the dates on my folders. What am I missing?

If you look at a folder of MP3s (showing details) it will list a bunch of the other stuff that is encoded in the MP3 files (artist, album, year, genre, track number, etc). It appears that the default for every directory containing MP3s is:
Filename, Size, Type, Artist, Album Title, Year, Track number, and Duration. If you right click on the field titles you get options for many more. Primarily I would like to get rid of some of the fields because like you, I don't care. However it seems that I have to do so on every directory. I would like to edit what fields are shown by default.

--
73