[mswindowsxp] Re: Spice girls' vocal concert

  • From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:21:06 -0800 (PST)

Yes there is such a way. It is called port forwarding. The easiest way to
imagine Port Forwarding is a combination of routing by port combined with
packet rewriting. A conventional router examines the packet header and
dispatches the packet on one of it's other interfaces, depending on the
packet's destination address. Port Forwarding examines the packet header and
forwards it on to another host (after a little header rewriting) depending on
the destination port.
In more detail: Port forwarding forwards all packets intended for one
forwarding port on the gateway from the external networks to routed on a
specified port on one of the internal machines (after a little rewriting of
headers). This is (in some ways) a reverse of masquerading and uses many of the
maquerading functions - particularly the packet header rewriting code.

If you're using a Linksys Router, this is how it is setup:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/sbs-linksys-port-forwarding.html

 Snowshelbi <SnowShelbi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This has nothing in special to do with the worm, but I was just
wondering something, u know routers have built-in firewalls, let's say I
have a router and that I want to unblock a specific port, is there
anyway to do that?! I mean do u like unblock the ports hardware wise or
is there a software that comes with the router?! So yeah, can someone
plz explain how it works in general! thanks