[mswindowsxp] Re: Shares and Groups

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:15:42 -0800

  OK - I finally found out what it was.  WinXP defaults to
something called "Simple File and Group Sharing" - which is
essentially the same sharing that was in Win95/98/98se/Me.
After turning off the 'simple' then WinXP looks highly
similar to Win2K.

  THANKS for the pointer - it got me to looking in the
                           Knowledge Base, which I should
                           have done myself before asking
                           for help.

  For those of you who want to use 'advanced' sharing what
you do is to go into Folder Options and find the check box
for 'simple' and uncheck it.  You can set simple/advanced
for only one folder at a time or for all the folders on
your computer (by using the "apply to all" buttone).

  Thanks again, Sharon.