[mswindowsxp] Shares and Groups

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:58:17 -0800

  In WinNT and Win2K you could assign Users to Groups and Groups
to Shares.  In WinXP I can not find any method of controlling
who sees a share.  I have found "Local Groups" and can assign
users to the groups - but I haven't found any way to control
which users/groups have authority to a particular share.
  Is there no way to do this in XP?  If so then sharing is sort
of useless because it is an all-or-none proposition where you
either allow access or you don't and then you decide whether or
not you want to allow write access or not ... but you can't
control the access by specific user/group.  WORTHLESS!