[mswindowsxp] Re: Removable HD.

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:52:40 -0400

Tried turning off System Restore on that drive? And verifying Windows
hasn't put a page file on it?

Sounds like an awful backup solution though. Forget using Windows Backup;
use one of the many available share/freeware apps that offer compression*.
Your daily backup (of files that change often) will be small and can go to
a separate drive/partition. Your weekly backup (of personal data, no
programs) should fit on a cdrw (use 2 alternately and keep one off-site).

If you really want an image of your drive use Norton Ghost or Powerquest
Drive Image and simply write to cdr(w) or your removable. Note this is NOT
a substitute for a good data backup strategy. Use Partition Magic and size
your C: partition to around 5 gigs and you can image to just a few cdrs.

PS We still use an Amiga 2000 daily for video work. They were incredible
machines.

*e.g. MOB
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Backup_and_Copy_Utilities/My_Own_Backup.html