[mswindowsxp] Re: Removable HD.

  • From: "Nicolas Ouellet" <nicolas_ouellet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:20:24 -0400

Hi Ted,

Like Joe Mentionned, in the Disk Managment you should see you D drive
with the size of the disk. if you see 40 go (more or less few megabytes)
it OK. Verify if it's the format FAT16 /FAT 32 or NTFS.

If you see 40 go on the disk manager it means probably the you have
hidden files. in the "properties folder" you can check the option "show
hidden files". or by DOS with the command "Attribute"

Nicolas

>>> tabcot@xxxxxxxxxxxx 09/25/03 03:17AM >>>
Hi to all XP users on this mailing-list.

I am a newcomer to the PC, but have owned and used an Amiga computer
for
about ten years. As I am a bit paranoid about backing up my files, I
fitted
a 40 gig removable HD to my system and use the Windows backup option
and a
few others.

I was backing up some files yesterday and an error window appeared
saying my
Removable HD disk was full. I have added up all the files on it and
the
total is only 28 gigabytes. I have lost 12 gigs somewhere. I deleted
some of
the folders, but the amount deleted didn't restore the same amount of
free
space on the HD. Also, emptying the "Recycle Bin" restored some space.
How
does this happen as the "Recycle Bin"  is installed on my C drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Ted.