[mswindowsxp] Re: Remote computer as ... WWW speed tutuorial included for free

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:58:29 -0800

Chris,

  I don't like to be the bearer of bad tidings but ... Internet speed
is - pure and simple - the speed of the slowest link.  If you think
of any internet connection as:

     The computer you are using -> LAN -> local internet server/router
   -> line between your local facility and phone company 'central
   office -> the rest of the phone company links between you and
   your ISP (or in this case the 'office computer') -> all of the
   modems/computers/routers there -> other "interim" stuff -> the web
   backbone (ie. beyond your ISP but not all the way to the other end)
   -> some other ISP on the other end -> its modems/computers/routers
   -> the line between that ISP and the actual web server you are
   connecting to's network -> whatever local modems/computers/routers/
   ethernet connections they are using -> and -FINALLY- the computer
   that is actually serving up the page(s) you want.  (Some of these
   links may or may not exist in your specific situation - others may
   exist I have not listed ... it makes no difference.  Why?  Because
   this is a "slowest link" scenario!)

  We tend to think only of 'connect speed' ... but actually WWW
speed is a combination of all of the above - and is especially
sensitive to 'the weakest/slowest link'.  And, regrettably, we
can't do anything to speed up what is outside of our control - so
anything beyond our local line speed is often left out of the
equation but DOES affect us and is why sometimes when you go from
a DSL to a T1 line you don't see any meaningful improvement in
surfing/download speed (for a specific site ... yes, T1 is faster
for most stuff and even "over all").  When you reread that paragraph
above and think about how many individual pieces of technology you
are using when you use the WWW to just do something as simple as
send a text email message ... well sometimes I just genuflect and
cross myself and say "I'm surprised this stuff works at all!" ...
much less how fast it actually is to download several MBs of a single
file from a truly busy server such as MicroSoft Windows update!

  So ... back to your attempt ... in what you are doing the weakest
link is the line between your home computer and the company system.
That line will be - quite probably - SLOWER than just dialing up
to your ISP.  Computer-Computer direct links often run at a MAX of
28,800 BITS per second!  The truth is - just because the modems on
both ends are 56kb modems doesn't mean that the two computers will
talk that fast when using a computer-computer link.  No matter how
fast the connection to your company's server is it will probably not
be 'faster than whatever direct dial-up to any ISP you are already
using' is ... because you are talking about using a phone line
connection which will never run faster than 53,300 (because the
phone company won't let it go faster than that) and when the biggest
factor controlling your phone line speed is the distance between you
and your "central office" (aka a "CO" by the phone company - which
is a phone company specifc computer somewhere in your neighborhood
and not necessarily in a building that has people in it and all that
stuff).

  My suggestion is - nice idea but don't waste your time trying to
make it work.  You won't find it is any faster than just dialing
up to your ISP.  You are probably using a 2nd phone line for your
internet.  And paying for both that line and your ISP.  Just convert
that line to DSL - without a voice capability - and the DSL speed
will cost you, at most, about $10/month more than what you are already
paying for phone line PLUS the ISP charges.