[mswindowsxp] Re: Re-install

  • From: "Nathan Orr" <norr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:03:39 +0800

What he could try to do is purchase a legit Windows XP, then change the cd
key in the old install using:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328874

That will allow updates from Windows Update, however I'm not sure about
registering the software.

He should back everything up and do a clean install tho.

Nathan Orr
Department of Fisheries
Ph: (08) 9482 7281
Fax: (08) 9482 7298
Email: norr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.fish.wa.gov.au

---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Jeff Stockard" <JStockard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 12/09/2003 2:11 AM:

My boss bought a PC from his daughter's friend.  It had Windows 98 and
was upgraded to Windows XP.  Apparently this kid used the Windows XP to
install on another PC and he registered it.  My boss was trying to get a
Windows Update and Microsoft will not let him.  Now for the question.
If he goes to the store and buys a copy of Windows XP, can he reinstall
it over his existing OS without loosing all of his data?
Thank you,
Jeff
Jesus Loves You