[mswindowsxp] Re: Random Dial-UP

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:40:42 -0800

First of all, in Internet Options, make sure you have the connection
settings NOT to dial a connection if one isn't open.

Secondly, what have you downloaded lately that uses Gator? Date manager is
part of it. Date manager is a calendar program. Check also if you gave a
program called "Precision Time" as well. It is used to connect to a time
server to synchronize your computer time with the "supposely" atomic clock.
Gator is basically a program bundled with some programs (Like the free Divx
Pro program). It then becomes (or is) ad-ware.  If you download Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and run it. It should tell you what was
installed as far as ad-ware, spyware and so forth.

Perhaps someone else in the household(?) downloaded these programs without
your knowledge? <shrug>

HTH