[mswindowsxp] Re: New Hardware

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:46:39 -0700

Bill,

  Ummmm, I don't think you are 100% correct.  I think that
most of the time XP will allow you to change motherboard and
CPU.  You will be required to "redo the activation" which
requires a fairly short phone call to MS and they will give
you a new activation number to put into some screen or other.
(They will walk you thru it.)

  If you have tried this and it blue-screened I suspect that
you changed other hardware than just the MB and CPU and those
things that are built onto the MB.  XP should handle even the
other changes - but not 'at the same time'.  You will probably
have to get it up and running and then change out the other
items than the MB and CPU 'one at a time'.

  OK - so let's suppose that you have tried this and had the
blue screen.  Then what I would suggest that you do is to
boot to your CD and go thru Setup.  You will see two prompts
for "Repair".  The first one will be about the "Repair Console".
Do NOT hit "R" for this one - it will take you to a command
prompt and you won't be able to make progress.  At the second
"do you want to repair" (sic) prompt then select "Repair" (sic)
at that time ... WinXP will re-install itself (it will even
require you to re-enter the product key) and when you are done
you should have all the same users, applications, etc.