[mswindowsxp] Re: New Hardware

  • From: Bill Beckett <Bill.Beckett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:56:54 -0400

We'll give it a try Jim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Betz [mailto:jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday October 22, 2003 1:47 PM
To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mswindowsxp] Re: New Hardware

Bill,

  Ummmm, I don't think you are 100% correct.  I think that
most of the time XP will allow you to change motherboard and CPU.  You will
be required to "redo the activation" which requires a fairly short phone
call to MS and they will give you a new activation number to put into some
screen or other. (They will walk you thru it.)

  If you have tried this and it blue-screened I suspect that you changed
other hardware than just the MB and CPU and those things that are built onto
the MB.  XP should handle even the other changes - but not 'at the same
time'.  You will probably have to get it up and running and then change out
the other items than the MB and CPU 'one at a time'.

  OK - so let's suppose that you have tried this and had the blue screen.
Then what I would suggest that you do is to boot to your CD and go thru
Setup.  You will see two prompts for "Repair".  The first one will be about
the "Repair Console". Do NOT hit "R" for this one - it will take you to a
command prompt and you won't be able to make progress.  At the second "do
you want to repair" (sic) prompt then select "Repair" (sic) at that time ...
WinXP will re-install itself (it will even require you to re-enter the
product key) and when you are done you should have all the same users,
applications, etc.