[mswindowsxp] Re: MSN Problem.

  • From: "Ibrahim, Mustafa" <Mustafa.Ibrahim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:42:46 -0500

Other online-services maybe using the passport you supplied. Try this:
1) Go to Windows Messenger- TOOLS/OPTIONS/ACCOUNTS/ and click to Sign-In with
'Communications Service' instead of '.Net passport' - This will stop XP using
your .Net passport with Windows Messenger by default and causing a background
sign-in fight.

2) Finish it all off by hiding Windows Messenger and all its shortcuts by going
to START/ALL PROGRAMS/PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS (XP+SP1 only) - choose
'Custom' and un-tick "Enable access to this program" next to Windows Messenger.

If you have your MSN Messenger set to automatically sign in then you will never
have a problem with that damn .Net passport message or sign-in fight again!!!

Windows XP and MSN Messenger will still need to use Windows Messenger from time
to time. It is important to understand that MSN Messenger for XP gets its
remote assistance capabilities from Windows Messenger, which means that Windows
Messenger MUST NOT be removed, and if it is, remote assistance will not work.
You may notice that 2 instances of the messenger program maybe appearing in you
notification area while these features are accessed or if Microsoft Outlook is
configured to 'Enable Instant Messaging' in TOOLS/OPTIONS/OTHER. This is normal
and what I suggest to prevent this from happening it is - Right click on your
START button, go to PROPERTIES/TASKBAR/CUSTOMIZE - Find Windows Messenger and
'Always Hide' it so when it is in use you wont see it.

Hope this all helps.