[mswindowsxp] Re: Lock

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:49:09 +0200

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:36:30 -0400, Bill Beckett wrote:

>I'm sure this is easy but I cannot find it or it's not working. I want an XP
>workstation to be locked once the screen saver kicks in. The password
>protect is grayed out, although the box is checked. However, after the
>screen saver kicks in, no password prompt comes up. The workstation is wide
>open once anyone hits a key. What gives?

I saw this behaviour when the domain set GPO specified a screen
saver that was not available on the local computer.

If you have a domain GPO set for win2k with a full path statement
in the GPO, pls be aware that for XP the systemroot is not the
same! Ie c:\winnt vs c:\windows.

Windows expects the screen saver to be in %systemroot%\system32. If
it's anywhere else, you'll have to specify it.

HTH.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# BOFH excuse follows: That's a great computer you have there;
have you considered how it would work as a BSD machine?