[mswindowsxp] Re: HD labels.

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:11:21 -0400

> > Removable HD devices cannot be labeled,
> > just the media that you place in them.

Is there a way to get XP to even _show_ an empty HD socket? None of mine
show until I put a drive in them.

>What is the best way to do that?
>I tried the "Rename" option, but I got a message saying that I didn't have
>sufficient rights to perform that operation."

Maybe you're running Disk Management with less than Admin privileges? Note
that with most removable drives you may also want to do a couple other
things when first formatting them:
*) Set the drive letter low enough so it won't get bumped by the system
e.g. V: for video files.
*) disable the Recycle Bin for that drive (lots of wasted space)
*) disable System Restore for that drive (more wasted space)