[mswindowsxp] Ghost errors

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:38:00 -0400

>I have Norton Ghost which backs up my C:\ drive to two DVDs. How would this
>programme compare?

Ghost has greatly improved over the years and it's usable now. But don't
confuse disk images with backups, although they can be.

>I have destroyed many CD-Rs through compression errors with Ghost. I get to
>the sixth or seventh disk on verification and I get a "Decompression Error"
>which makes my complete backup useless.

You're putting a lot more effort into this than you need to. I make an
image once everything's working - usually on a few cdrs. Then my daily and
complete backups go to alternating cdrw. These are both mostly unattended
on-line backups (unlike imaging) so they can be done more often.

I have no idea why you're getting those errors. Have you tried imaging to
another hard drive and using your burner software to burn ISO Data disks?

DLT is an interesting idea, though it seems a step backward
technologically. I just can't help but to remember being burned by tape
backups that develop one error on them in the middle somewhere despite
having been verified earlier. And they're awfully expensive compared to
today's $1/G hard drives. Easier to keep a copy off-premises I suppose.