[mswindowsxp] Re: Firewall Configuration

  • From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:44:33 -0800 (PST)

A router connects different networks together, LANs and WANs. Although hubs and
switches both glue the PCs in a network together, a switch is more expansive
and generally considered faster than a hub.  Why? When a hub receives a chunk
(packet) of data (a frame in Ethernet lingo) at one of its ports from a PC on
the network, it transmits (repeats) the packet to all of its ports and, thus,
to all of the other PCs on the network.  If two or more PCs on the network try
to send packets at the same time a collision is said to occur.  When that
happens all of the PCs have to go though a routine to resolve the conflict.
That means the process slows down communication. That's the hub for you, a dumb
piece of equipment. Not the switch. An Ethernet switch automatically divides
the network into multiple segments, acts as a high-speed, selective bridge
between the segments, and supports simultaneous connections of multiple pairs
of computers which don't compete with other pairs of computers for network
bandwidth.  It accomplishes this by maintaining a table of each destination
address and its port.  When the switch receives a packet, it reads the
destination address from the header information in the packet, establishes a
temporary connection between the source and destination ports, sends the packet
on its way, and then terminates the connection. Picture a switch as making
multiple temporary crossover cable connections between pairs of computers. In
other words, it is more intelligent than the hub. It is like a multiple bridge
which is another type of hardware. Routers are like a combination of switches.
All routers have a Wide Area Network (WAN) Port which connects it to the
internet and it also has multiple Ethernet ports to connect more than one PC or
hubs to form a LAN.  These ports allow the PCs to share the WAN port/broadband
Internet connection and perform LAN functions, such as Windows file and printer
sharing.

 Snowshelbi <SnowShelbi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
May I ask what is the diff between a switch a router and a hub!?! And
which should be used when 2 computers are sharing one internet
connection!?