[mswindowsxp] Re: Docs & Settings.

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:43:34 -0500

>> Hi, all. Using Windows Explorer, I would like to copy my C:\Documents
>> and Settings folder to another HDD for backup purposes, but I get an
>> error message saying it can't copy ntuser.dat as it is being used by
>> another program. I know these files contain my user information and
>> can't be copied, but is there any way I can make Windows Explorer
>> Skip these files?

I hope you got an answer to your direct question by now. But this would
not be an acceptable backup strategy on any of _my_ machines. Mostly
because it misses too much important stuff while including lots of
overhead. I hope you're at least .zipping it with some compression?

Anyway, I'd recommend you explore one of the many excellent freeware and
shareware backup apps available today (e.g.
http://www.superwin.com/rescue.htm). They'll have options to include the
registry and everything else. Better even is a cheap imaging solution;
it can now be done online in WinXP.