[mswindowsxp] Re: Buzzing at boot-up.

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:57:07 +0200

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:59:45 -0400, Joe Parker wrote:

>>Thanks to Jim and Joe for their helpful suggestions regarding my buzzing
>>sound at start-up. It may be a difficult one to track down as it is very
>>intermittent.... Only happens once or twice a week and stops when Windows is
>>loaded.
>

>My money's on a hard drive. Watch your SMART monitors, maybe think about
>swapping out. Run one of the freeware always-on SMART monitors like
>http://www.santools.com/ .
>

>>I use the Backup Utility on my Windows XP Home system to create a shadow
>>file on my removable hard-drive. Why is the "Compression" option ghosted
>>out? Is it only available on XP Pro, perhaps?
>

>Why are you bothering with that POS? If it's only one file you want to copy
>just use a command line batch file. If it's a disk image you're after
>there's great freeware for that. (eg http://www.partition-saving.com/ )
>
>PS Thanks for pointing out nobody should spray the inside of their power
>supplies with anything. I *did* suggest that often a spray of a lubricant
>will quiet a noisy *fan*. How sloppily people do this is up to them; it's
>their power supply.

Have you considered the fans? Ie, it buzzes until the computer is
warmed up and then stops when the fan(s) are speeding up. I've had
this kind of intermittent "problems" on a bunch of computers. In
those cases it has been the PSU-fan, the CPU-fan and the graphics
card fan respectively.

I consider these problems to be "beauty spots", although irritating
if your computers aren't on 24/7 as mine are. 8-)

HTH.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# BOFH excuse follows: Too much radiation coming from the soil.