[mswindowsxp] Re: Buzzing at boot-up.

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:59:45 -0400

At 05:36 PM 4/19/2004, you wrote:
>Thanks to Jim and Joe for their helpful suggestions regarding my buzzing
>sound at start-up. It may be a difficult one to track down as it is very
>intermittent.... Only happens once or twice a week and stops when Windows is
>loaded.

My money's on a hard drive. Watch your SMART monitors, maybe think about
swapping out. Run one of the freeware always-on SMART monitors like
http://www.santools.com/ .

>I use the Backup Utility on my Windows XP Home system to create a shadow
>file on my removable hard-drive. Why is the "Compression" option ghosted
>out? Is it only available on XP Pro, perhaps?

Why are you bothering with that POS? If it's only one file you want to copy
just use a command line batch file. If it's a disk image you're after
there's great freeware for that. (eg http://www.partition-saving.com/ )

PS Thanks for pointing out nobody should spray the inside of their power
supplies with anything. I *did* suggest that often a spray of a lubricant
will quiet a noisy *fan*. How sloppily people do this is up to them; it's
their power supply.