[mswindowsxp] Re: Buzzing at boot-up.

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:23:56 -0400

At 05:42 PM 4/18/2004, you wrote:
>Could be one of the recent bagle virus's or some other, they drop an
>audio file in your run key of the registry that plays at startup...
>http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_BAGLE.B&VSect=T
>JK

I hadn't heard that. And the link you posted doesn't say anything about it.
Awfully nice of a virus to play a sound on startup but very difficult to
believe. Do you have another link?

Anyway, the first thing I'd want to know to diagnose a sound is: Where is
it coming from? Assuming you can still hear it with the internal and
external speakers off, then I'd want to unplug the fans one by one.
Assuming it wasn't a fan, then I'd stick a hose in my ear if necessary and
try to figure out what part of the system is responsible. Other moving
parts include the drives.

You said you replaced all the fans, but does that include the one inside
the power supply and the ones on the CPU and video card? Again, your ear
could pinpoint these, and a spray of lube should shut em up for a while.