[mswindowsxp] Re: Authorizations

  • From: "Tahlia Thomas" <tahlia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:50:53 -0500

We have had the same problem with user rights. I work at a college with many
programming classes. You gotta love Microsoft - VS.Net requires Debugger
User, but modules in VB & C++ require Power User - and neither will work
with the other's rights. So we had to go to admin in labs that run both.

But we found a great solution: Hyper Technologies (recently merged with
Faronics) "Deep Freeze". Software level protection, and everything goes back
to original condition after a reboot. It allows saving to mounted drives if
you're using NTFS. This allows for DAT updates, document saving, etc.

It has an enterprise management console to thaw & refreeze the systems for
maintenance, and we have set it up with WOL & SUS for automatic Windows &
DAT updates when in a thawed state.

We've used it for about a year now, and have had no problems. I repeat -
none!

We used Centurion hardware locks in the past, but the Deep Freeze is more
flexible and a lot cheaper. We spent < $15.00 per workstation when
purchasing 500 licenses.

Here's their web address:  http://www.faronics.com/main.asp

I don't rave about much, but this software has changed my life. And the
users are happy because everything always works.

Best of luck.