[mstation_newsletter] Oct News

  • From: John Littler <jlittler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mstation_newsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:32:06 +0200

Hiya All,

Here's our lineup for this month ...

features: October 07

Music - Pictures Elvis Presley pretty much defined Rock 'n' Roll for a couple of generations. Recently, the 30th anniversary of his death was observed and a new book was published, written by one of his friends and a helper. We have some pictures from the book ... Images

JPEG image

Music - Phoenix and the Turtle are from Yucaipa, a little ways out of Los Angeles. They are amongst a group of newish bands from the region making interesting, inventive, and pleasurable music that has roots in both Rock and the sweet and smooth So-Cal sound that comes and goes. Interview

JPEG image

Hardware - William Gibson namechecked and gave a role to the VW Phaeton in his new book, Spook Country. It's like a big Passat with some greenish engine options or a W12 that will do 201mph with the governor switched off. We went for a drive. Report

JPEG image

More Music - Monthly Video Picks From the past we have The Clash. From now we have the hardcore Autonervous (interview coming), ethereal folktronic from CocoRosie, and more ethereality and sweepy guitar from Hush the Many. Monthly Picks, vids, etc

JPEG image

Music - MakingBrian Redfern first talked to us when we were a baby zine about Drum 'n' Bass in L.A. and allied things. Here he gives us a run-through of manipulating Csound in realtime to make music. Report

JPEG image

Music - GeographyWhat happened in Seattle after Grunge? Seattle resident Michael Powell gives us his take, which sees diversity rather than just a replacement. Report

JPEG image

Yet More Music - Podcast Phoenix and the Turtle from Yucaipa, near L.A. give us this month's track. It's called It's Not You, It's Me. Podcasts

JPEG image

Games - Halo3 is here and it means a lot to FPS fans and Microsoft and Bungie. Does it mean anything to softcore gamers and the Xbox 360 platform? Commentary

JPEG image

Music - Pop/dance Thunderfinger has some preview thoughts about French music. Commentary

Music - Classical Baron K talks about Luci, Bartolli, and a dead diva. Commentary

JPEG image

Books - Raymond Chandler, Colloquial French Reviews

http://mstation.org