[office2000] Re: Outlook Time Errors

  • From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:44:03 -0500

Yep, that's a problem. Don't blame you for not wanting Exchange in the
house but I am surprised to hear your company isn't using some kind of
groupware solution despite Lotus Notes and Exchange being equally ugly.
At this point, switching to Netscape is like telling your users to
switch to Outlook Express...in some ways it's handier, it's got a
stronger grip of the RFCs for messaging in general but it's definitely
tougher to control the mail DB.

The time field is not one that you can really control and you're right
that they're trying manage thread chronology but breaking things along
the way. As fas I know, there is no way to control this even with VBA
modules to try and massage a more correct appearance. How does your
server present time offset in the delivery header? Are they using 822 or
2822 rules? Had you already attempted to do the first steps in my
message to ensure that a time zone is set for Outlook?

Finally, if the company is trying to force a switch, surely there's more
going on here than the value in the time column? I'd be willing to take
the pursuit of the problems off to private email if the moderator feels
we're crossing the line in here.

BTW, have you spent anytime at http://www.slipstick.com ? Sue Mosher
runs the site and it appears to be the premier site for Exchange and its
clients. Ken Slovak is a regular contributor there as well. Also, the MS
public newsgroups at msnews.microsoft.com are often useful for sticky
problems like this one.

I wish you luck!

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com
"Counting in binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11!
With thinking this clear, is coding really a good idea?"

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm