[office2000] Re: Outlook Time Errors

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:29:07 -0700

  I did all the "tests" before the first post.  This is a bug in
Outlook - MS will probably call it a "deficiency".  I know what
MS is trying to do - to allow the Outlook user to see the "true"
(ie. relative) time of several emails.  What I mean is that they
are allowing you to see that a particular email was actually
written before or after another email because, if they are all
in GMT then that "normalizes" them.  That's all well - and perhaps
even goodness - all I want is the ability to have Outlook "adjust"
the time received to my own local frame of reference (ie. my own
time zone).  I'm sure they have gotten lots of complaints about
how someone was confused by not having time zones info - but
instead of adding the time zone info they decided to just report
it in Greenwich time.  *sigh*
  I'm using Outlook 2000.  The local mail server is NOT Exchange,
and will never be.  Even emails sent from one person in the company
to another person in the company are reported by Outlook with their
GMT value - 8 hours "off" in the eyes of the users.  Mgmt will be
contemplating switching to NetScape Messenger just to avoid this
problem ...
  OfficeXP is not an option - this company does not upgrade when
a product is "doing the job".

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm