[office2000] Re: Outlook 2000 "Received" Date

  • From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:26:31 -0500

Outlook doesn't really control that time. It does, however, attempt to
work with that time. For instance, here's the header information for the
message you sent to the group. You'll quickly see exactly what Outlook
is working with when it presents the time:
  (SMTPD32-5.05) id AE60C3C80118; Fri, 02 Aug 2002 19:05:52 -0500

My mail server puts its local time stamp in, which is good for me
because Outlook says, "Whatever time you say it got to you, Mr. Server.
That' much more important than what time it was when I picked the
message up."

If your ISP is setting their system to return UTC, that's how Outlook
will organize and present the message.

As an FYI, many servers do put their local time stamp on but retain the
logs in UTC format. I'm lucky because my home and my hosting service are
in the same time zone which means I don't have to translate. Were my
server in Boston and I still lived here in the midwest, I'd have to
remember to convert when I looked at the time stamp.

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com
"Counting in binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11!
With thinking this clear, is coding really a good idea?"

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm