[office2000] Re: Office Setup Standardization

  • From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:07:37 -0500

You've a couple avenues you need to explore. First, for the scripting
side of the solution, you need to become with the Windows Installer
(msi) object. Full documentation is at http://msdn.microsoft.com. I
would also recommend that you learn a little about Systems Management
Server as much of the MSI system was developed by experience in the SMS
realm. Further, take a look at Darwin Sanoy's Desktop Engineer's Junk
Drawer at http://www.desktopengineer.com . Darwin teaches the installer,
scripting it, etc. Good site, great tools.

Next, you should seriously consider spending some time in the scripting,
WSH and WMI newsgroups at msnews.microsoft.com. I recommend using a real
newsreader rather than the web interface you'll be presented at
http://support.microsoft.com .

Finally, you need a book!!<g> I highly recommend the Office XP Resource
Kit (http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/toc/5240.asp) . Pay special
attention to the chapters on creating standardized, consistent
deployments through Administrative Installation Points. You may even
find that the wizard created for this set of jobs has you in mind and
will create a custom installation package that will relieve you of much
of the scripting task.

Some alternate books to consider are the Office 2000 Resource Kit
(http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/2443.asp) and then you should
definitely have a copy of Deploying Microsoft Office 2000 Notes from the
Field
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735607273/qid=1026313548/sr=1-1
/ref=sr_1_1/104-3080598-0835935). Better hurry on that last one. It's
great, out of print and, apparently, available for less than $3 at the
above URL. I had to pay $40 for it.<g>

Good luck!

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com
"Counting in binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11!
With thinking this clear, is coding really a good idea?"

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm