[office2000] Re: Fonts and "Special Symbols" Question

  • From: "Renee Cooper" <reneemi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:14:48 -0700

"Zapf dingbats" is a printer font.  Ask your friend what printer is his
default on his machine, then install that driver on yours (you can point
to Nul if you don't have it) and you'll see the symbols when you reopen
the doc.  I see the font when I install an HPIIISi Postscript driver.

For documents meant to be distributed to others, printer fonts are not a
good idea to use for this very reason.  You can see which are printer
fonts in the toolbar font dropdown because instead of a TT symbol next
to it they have a little printer symbol.  If you are using the font
dialog there's a line of text at the bottom underneath the sample that
tells you what kind of font it is.  The Insert Symbol dialog does not
specify the type of font though.

Hope that helps!
-R