[office2000] Re: Fonts and "Special Symbols" Question

  • From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:13:57 -0500

It still sounds like you don't have the font installed correctly or that
the view mode you're using is not recognized in some way.

Symbol characters in Word are done exactly the same way as standard
characters; they are either standard Code Pages for your language
settings or they are installed fonts. The only thing that makes them
special is that they don't have a mapping to any particular key on your
keyboard. When Word doesn't find the requested font that contains symbol
X, it attempts to remap the character request based on the Unicode value
of the character and scheme by which a replacement font set is chosen.
If a Unicode value is not identified, Word falls back to ANSI
assignments for the character set in use. Word has an additional caveat
on character rendering based on the installed printer which should
explain why it is that so many apparently non-printing issues are often
solved by updating/replacing printer drivers. This is entirely
consistent with the way 'standard' characters are used.

Got an example document you could upload to the File group for this
list?

Greg Chapman
http://www.mousetrax.com
"Counting in binary is as easy as 01, 10, 11!
With thinking this clear, is coding really a good idea?"

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm