[office2000] Fonts and "Special Symbols" Question

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: msoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 15:14:37 -0700

  Can someone explain the "special symbols stuff" to me?

  Here is what I think is happening ...

  When a document is loaded into Word it can load a "special"
symbol file (the dingbats?) and that file "modifies" the current
definition of the meaning of special keystroke combinations.
Hence - in one document an alt-ctrl-S might put up one special
symbol and in another document the same combo (alt-ctrl-s)
might put up a different special symbol.

  Is this true?  Does anyone know how one determines which
zapfdingbats file is in use in a particular document?  Or
how the document 'links' to it?  And how does the document
know which zapfdingbats file to load - is it as simple as
'the first one it finds' - and it looks in the same folder
as the document first?

  Here's the practical side of what I am trying to do.  A guy I know
has written a document about the card game of Bridge.  In that doc
he has symbols for the suits (a red heart for hearts, etc.).  But
when I open the document I don't see those symbols.  So how do I
figure out what I need to see those symbols - and where do I find
the file once I know what it is?
  A web search for zapfdingbats returned dozens of different
downloadable files and they even seemed to be targetted towards
different applications (such as Adobe PDFs and plotters and ___).
  Yes, I've asked the guy who sent it to me and he is clueless.
All he knows is that it works on his computer.  He also says that
I'm not the only one he's sent these docs too and they are all
having probs.

http://thethin.net/O2Klist.cfm