[msb-alumni] Re: Randy Formenti Dies at 62

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:56:10 -0500

Yeah, I am still getting over it, even though its been several years since
we've talked.  I probably should let LMF know as well, since he is back in
East Lansing now.

I remember in the late 70's, Larry Allman and Randy challenged each other on
our local repeater net to a pancake eating contest at Uncle John's Pancake
House near Frandor.  That was one of the bigger turn-outs of the ham radio
guys that used to gather there after the net.  Larry and Randy mutually
agreed to stopo after each had eaten 19.5 pancakes.

I did let Larry Allman know yesterday.  Back in the mid-60s, we had a study
group every week--John Sheldon WA8MVH/sk, Larry ex-WA8QCW now N8WR, myself,
Randy and it was all led by Hal Bell WA8LAY/sk.  I'll tell you, John, too
many damn SK's around here now.

For those of you who aren't ham radio ops, SK means Silent Key; i.e.
denoting when a ham dies that they can no longer send code.

Steve, K8SP