[msb-alumni] Old Article on Randy Formenti from 1964

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:59:07 -0500

BlankFirst, my apologies to the Formentis; I didn't realize he had a brother
Larry.  I guess he must have been off to the service or college, because I
never met him.
Randy's dad died in June 2013, but his mom is still alive.

Not to brag, but he didn't have the "youngest ham" title for long, five
months later, I got my Novice at age 9.  I'm trying to think of the five who
would have had licenses then--Clark DeLor, Ricky Haynor, Randy Formenti, I
know there were a bunch of us later on like Marcia, Fred, Rob, Steve Ray,
Dave Gordon, and myself.  I just can't recall the other two.

Starting in 1965, Randy, Larry Allman, John Wa8mvh (can't remember his last
name), and I would get together with a sighted ham Harold Bell Wa8LAY every
Friday night.  He would go over theory with us.  We would rotate between
each of the four houses, and their wives (Randy's Mom and my Mom at our
houses) would make dessert.  We did that weekly for probably three or four
years every Friday night, except for the first Friday of the month when the
Amateur Radio Club met.

I always competed with Randy as far as being an independent traveler, doing
things on ham radio, who could swing the highest at lunch on the swing set
by the west end of Lions Hall, etc. etc.  We spent a lot of time together
either at Herb's or his house.  When he started learning to play the organ,
I got one and was taught by the same teacher--a real fat (politically
correct, weight-challenged) dude by the name of Everett Hunt.  I am
surprised the organ bench withheld his weight.  But, he was a helluva an
organist.

And, I live two blocks south of their house, in the Ravenswood subdivision,
Lol.  I remember as a kid I always liked their house; it was brick at least
in the front; with a large living room, family room; a pool and a trampoline
in the backyard.

We didn't have as much contact in the past ten years or so.  I will just say
sometimes, he could be inconsiderate.  And, eventually, he got banned from
this list for his intemperate language.  But, I miss him from the olden
days.

Anyway, here is an article on him from February, 1964.

Amateur Radio Opens New Era To Blind

ESCANABA Daily PRESS,
 LANSING—Randy Formenti. 11, who has been blind since birth, and whose first
schooling was in the special department of the Escanaba Public Schools, is
now in the sixth grade at the Michigan School for the Blind here and is most
excited right now because he is a licensed “radio ham”—and can chat daily by
radio with his grandfather in Iron Mountain. Randy enjoys swimming, diving,
roller skating, wrestling and his classroom activities.

He recently received his novice ham operator’s licence from the FCC. His
call letters are WN8KLS. During the past holiday season, he had been sending
and receiving messages by International Morse code five and six hours daily.
He has communicated with other hams in Muskegon, Louiaville, Glen Falls, N.
Y., and other distant points.

Chat With Granddad

There is one call that is a daily must for Randy. Each day he chats by code
with his grandfather, Angelo Formenti, 65. Iron Mountain. A ham operator for
about 35 years, he inspired his grandson to also become a ham.

Randy was a premature baby when he was born. Because of the overuse of
oxygen, he suffered retrolental fibroplasia or the shriveling of the retina,
a defect which prevents the reflection of light. The child spent his
kindergarten year in the special education department of the Escanaba Public
Schools. He entered the Michigan School for the Blind the next year as a
boarding student.

His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Formenti. decided the following year to
move to Lansing to be near Randy. The father resigned his job as a patrolman
with the Escanaba Police Department. Upon his arrival in Lansing, he looked
around and found employment in the Plant Protection Department of
Oldsmobile. Randy is now a day student at the School for the Blind.
Transportation between home and school is provided through a special
arrangement with the Lansing Board of Education.

Youngest Ham

He is the youngest of five ham radio operators among the 280 students at the
school. Thanks to a cash gift, the institution will soon install a new
transmitter and other amateur radio equipment for the use of the Amateur
Radio Club. Randy’s mother assisted him in studying for a novice operator’s
license with the use of a Question and Answer book issued by the Federal
Communications Commission. The test was submitted to him by another ham
operator. Jack Fortier. at Iron Mountain last summer.

Randy received his FCC license and call letters in September. The boy is now
able to transmit and receive by code at 20 to 25 words a minute, Randy
learned the code from the State Library "talking books.” He’s now studying
for a general license, which will permit him to go on phone. Randy learned
the Braille system about five years ago.

At the school this year, he’s studying science, language, arithmetic.
reading and spelling. He says he likes school. The Forrnentis have three
other children: Larry, 13, David, 15, and Jill, 2. They reside in the
Ravenswood section at 3418 Springbrook Lane.

GIF image