[mpegaudsg] Re: Proposal for some Audio-related actions this week

  • From: Eunmi Oh <sait@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Schuyler Quackenbush <srq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "mpeg-audio-call@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mpeg-audio-call@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "mpegaudsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mpegaudsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:37:51 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Schuyler and All,

Thank you for your opinion on the candidate list of CEs that might be reviewed
for making a decision at this meeting.
I would like to share my view on M17494 (CE on improvements to low bitrate
stereo in USAC).

In this CE, wavforms were available in two conditions.
One condition is new downmix only (C2: encoder change),
and the other is new downmix & upmix at the same time (C3: encoder & decoder
changes).

Main results based on our listening tests described in M17509 are:
- Only with downmix changes (C2), the quality of 5 items and 1 item out of 20
items was significantly improved
at 24 and 32kbits/sec stereo with respect to WD6.

- The quality of only 1 item (an artificial “Harmonics”) is improved by
normative changes (C3)
 in addition to informative changes (C2) in the differential scores, as you can
see in Fig 4 & 8.
The normative change only appears to bring benefit to a very artificial test
signal called “Harmonics”.

We are wondering what is done when only downmix (C2) is changed.
Please elaborate the change in downmix (C2).
We strongly recommend that we should separate the effect of normative changes
from that of informative and normative changes.

Furthermore, all cross-check reports are not in total agreement.

I kindly ask Audio Subgroup not to make a decision on this issue at this
meeting.

Best regards,

Eunmi