[mountainmilers] Re: Yesterday, today, and tomorrow

  • From: Deborah Baker <deborahdances@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cactusjon@xxxxxxx>, mountain milers <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:45:38 -0700

Thx Jon-truly we are all blessed in more ways than we can count!

From: cactusjon@xxxxxxx
To: mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mountainmilers] Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:09:57 -0600

Wow!!  What a weekend!

Yesterday:  I got introduced to the Whiskey Row 10K course.  What tough hills,
especially the long one on Hassayampa.  Thanks to Jane for pointing me in the
right direction.  She was nipping at my heels the whole way down the hill and
helped me run a little faster.  Afterwards, I had a nice soak in the therapy
pool at the YMCA. To bad they don't have a whirlpool and a sauna (hint, hint).

Today:  Not knowing how sore I would be from yesterday, I figured I'd just show
up at Casa Sanchez and run what I could.  A total of 10 MM and one dog were
there to run various portions of the Whiskey Row marathon course. Thanks to
Dave and Kam for the shuttle service up to to dirt section on Copper Basin
road.  Once again, the hills were killer steep.  I have a new respect for
people who compete in races here.  I managed to run for 30 minutes out and it
only took 21 minutes to get back.  Running down the hill, I was amazed to see
how far up the hill Ursula and Cindy had run.  Those tough women started
running at the restaurant while I rode in Dave's truck to our shorter departure
point ( a man's got to know his limitations!!)  I would have never run both of
these workouts on my own.  Thank you all for the group mentality!

Tomorrow:  After the run today, I decided to stop at a fast food place for some
coffee.  While sitting down to enjoy my brew, a man with a walker slowly made
his way towards the counter.  He appeared to be in his late forties or early
fifties.  His face looked as if he had been through a 15 round fight with Ali.
The poor man appeared to be just waiting to die to escape his earthly misery.
While feeling sorry for this bloke, I thought about all the excuses and
complaints I make.  It's too hot, too cold, too windy, too far, too steep, etc.
blah-blah-blah.  The reality is that I have been blessed with good health and
the ability to run.  I am grateful for the YMCA which gives me a clean place to
lift weights, swim, and run on the treadmill.  I am thankful for the special
people in the Mountain Milers.  So tomorrow, count your blessings.  Hug the
ones you love.  See you on the road.

"Take hold of your chances, defy all of the odds that have been made.  Making
every movement count,we step toward a golden age"    Yes~ Fortune Seller