(no subject)

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:54:08 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/03/07 09:27:07

Subject: Monday, 05 November 2007

T O D A Y    W E    A R R I V E    I N    J E R U S A L E M
We land in Tel Aviv, Israel today.  We board our motorcoach and have some of
our first sights of Israel as we travel up to the Holy City of Jerusalem.
We stay at the Grand Court Hotel:  www.grandcourt.co.il Keep us in your
prayers and know you're remembered in ours as well!

I N    T H E    H O L Y    L A N D

I'm leading a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and will return late on Thursday,
15 November.  Margie, our Pastoral Minister will be sending Morning Prayer
in my absence. No prayer intentions will be accepted at this time, since
Morning Prayer has already been prepared. Be assured that we'll remember
your intentions in our prayers, during our Daily Masses and in the many
important Churches we'll visit.  Please "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe" in the
way described at the bottom of this e-mail, since I won't have regular
Internet access in the Holy Land.

     From Father Pat Umberger

Venerable Solanus Casey (1870-1957)
One of Detroit's most well-known priests, he was born in Oak Grove,
Wisconsin. At the age of 21, and after he had worked as a logger, a hospital
orderly, a streetcar operator and a prison guard, he entered St. Francis
Seminary in Milwaukee (where Father Pat studied)-where he found the studies
difficult. He left there and, in 1896, joined the Capuchins in Detroit,
taking the name Solanus. His studies for the priesthood were again
difficult.

"God delivered all to disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all>''~
Romans 11:29-36

"When you hold a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the
blind; blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you."
~ Luke 14:12-14

God takes advantage of situations of injustice against him to help us see
the divine mercy toward the offenders.  Being God-like means living in this
way.  Even in our social lives we are reminded of the holiness of inviting
those who cannot pay us back. "For you will be repaid at the resurrection of
the righteous."

I pray that I may imitate God in my generosity even though those who treat
me unjustly.  I pray that I may follow God's call to care for the needs who
have no way of paying me back.