margie - st pats

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:51:03 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I saw Fr. Pat Today,

He was looking good and is feeling better, getting some strength back. I
told him you were all praying for him. He sends you greeting and his love.

He asked that I send you a prayer. I'm not good at this, but here goes!

Margie

Here is a reflection for you on Friday's Gospel from Matthew 6:19-23

Like any of our important decisions, we must make choices about who we want
to be in life. To drift along in life and let others tell us who we should
be, does not always help us in becoming who we are meant to be. So who are
we meant to be? ?Who am I meant to be and do with my life?? is a question
that should gradually guide us into listening to God.
In today?s Gospel Jesus tells us ?Do not store up for yourselves treasures
on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal, but
store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor
thieves break in and steal. For where you treasure is, there also your heart
will be. As we journey in this life, what have our treasures been? Are they
making me the person I want to be? Have my earthly treasures gotten in the
way of my prayer life , my relationship with God, or my willingness to reach
out to others in charity and compassion?
Before my last parent -my father, passed away years ago, I was always very
concerned with inheriting something that had belonged to him, and before him
it was his mother?s. I didn?t want to see it lost as a family heirloom. When
my father passed away, suddenly everything I had once worried about, seemed
to suddenly lose its value. Reflecting, I realized the item was not the
?important? treasure, it had value only because it was connected to my
father and the stories of my relatives now gone. My father was the ?real
treasure?, and of course my relationship with him. Luckily, I did treasure
my father and did not only focus on items of material nature.
But it is easy to get side-tracked in life storing up things that accomplish
nothing for others . I have a small collection of old bibles, some old books
and some art prints from a rummage sale?I am fascinated with art in books
and images of Jesus. The important thing I need to remember is that God and
others always come FIRST. Disasters happen, and people lose everything. What
is it that they find in this time of loss when they sit with nothing but
tears? I hope it is us! I hope we will be the ones, to bring to others the
treasures of God?s love and our love. This is the greatest treasure that
will not rot away because it is like the breath of God for others.
I feel our interests and treasures tell us something about ourselves. What
is it? How should we use it for the benefit of others? It is only in sharing
our talents and using our abilities for others that we will become the great
person we want to become. We must let our lamp shine!

Prayer:
Lord let me always use my gifts and talents for others.
Amen