Weekend of October 14 and 15, 2006

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 07:44:59 -0500 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Subject: Weekend of 14 and 15 October 2006

..=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.
directions at the end of the e-mail.  I cannot manually do it during this
time away.

..=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 6 , Number 10-15  :=.

..=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

The Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B.
Weekend of 14-15 October 2006

Follow this link for this weekend's Scriptures:
   www.nccbuscc.org/nab/

..=:  R E F L E C T I O N   Q U E S T I O N S  :=.

"I prayed, and prudence was given me; I pleaded, and the spirit of wisdom
came to me. I preferred her to scepter and throne ... "  How can the gift of
wisdom be more valuable than the riches of this world? What is the source of
this true wisdom?

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain wisdom of heart."  In
what ways can we number our days unwisely.  Do we spend as much time on the
important things of life, the ones that endure, as we should?

"Brothers and sisters: Indeed the word of God is living and effective,
sharper than any two-edged sword ... "  In what ways can the word of God cut
like a sword?  Is this painful?  Does it lead to greater good?

Jesus, looking at the young man, loved him and said to him, "You are lacking
in one thing.  Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor and you will
have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."

At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many
possessions.  What are things we'd find it hardest to let go of if we were
asked?  Can we truly possess something we are not willing to give away? What
do we lose by hanging on to *things?"

"How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God!"  The
riches of this world, how do they help us think that we're powerful and in
control?  How can the riches of the world blind us to what is truly
important?  Why can it be easier for the very poor to rely on God?

How are these Scriptures comforting?  Challenging?

(c)MMVI Fr. Pat Umberger.  These Reflection Questions are found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com.  Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

..=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

It can be interesting to sit down and make a list of the things we most
value in life.  It's not particularly difficult to do that.  We can arrange
the list of family, faith, friends, work, leisure time, husband or wife,
possessions, money, reputation, etc. in order of importance.  After we've
finished we can feel quite smug about it all.  Our values are in order and
we're doing well.

Then it's interesting to take the same list and estimate how much time we
devote to each of these things each week.  It can be surprising to see how
much time we spend earning a living and accumulating possessions as opposed
to the quality time we spend with our spouse, children, or with God.
Sometimes the time we use to "unwind" after a busy day can surpass the time
spent interacting with the ones we love the most.

As I often say, in all my encounters with those who were dying I have yet to
hear a person say, "Father, I wish I had worked more hours."
When we consider the things that last, possessions don't!  Those who know
their days are numbered spend their time with family and friends and
cultivate a strong relationship with God.  The things of the world mean
little.

News flash ... our days are numbered!  Our lives in this world will come to
an end.  None of us know when that will happen.  How important it is for us
to devote the limited time we have to the things that will endure.  In
today's first reading we hear about the treasure of the gifts of prudence
and wisdom.  Sometimes wisdom comes to us after a long period of trial and
error.  We make mistake after mistake and eventually we can learn to avoid
doing that.  What a treasure it is if we can spare ourselves of that pain by
listening to the experience of others.

It is so tempting though, to rely on ourselves and our own wisdom.  In
today's Gospel we hear about a young man who has tried to follow the
commandments his whole life long.  When he asks Jesus what further he should
do Jesus asks him to sell what he has and give it to the poor.
He walks a
way with head held down, because his possessions were many.  They were
getting in the way of what was really important in life.

This week we can consider what is important to us and determine whether or
not we devote as much time to those areas as we should.  We can take a look
at the things that hold us back from listening to and following God's call
in our lives.  We can divest ourselves of whatever it is that holds us back.
When we become "poor" we can easily acknowledge our need for God.
That's the truth Jesus tries to communicate to the young man in today's
Gospel.  We too have a chance to learn that lesson.  Have a good week!