Thursday, January 17

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:34:59 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 01/05/08 11:25:03
Subject: Thursday, 17 January 2008

I ' M    A T    G U A D A L U P E
I'll be in Mexico City from 07-18 January.  Keep me in your prayers, and
know you'll be remembered in mine as well.  I'll remember your intentions
remembered at Guadalupe, daily Mass and during visits to the many Churches
of Mexico City.  Since Morning Prayer is already prepared, Prayer Intentions
will not be included with Morning Prayer during this time. Margie, our
Pastoral Minister, will send Morning Prayer in my absence.  You cannot
e-mail Margie by replying to this e-mail, but may do so by e-mailing
marge@xxxxxxxxxxx If you'd like to "unsubscribe" during this time, just
follow the directions at the bottom of this e-mail.  I cannot do it for you
during this time away.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Anthony of Egypt (251-356)
The life of Anthony will remind many people of St. Francis of Assisi. At 20,
Anthony was so moved by the Gospel message, "Go, sell what you have, and
give to [the] poor" (Mark 10:21b), that he actually did just that with his
large inheritance. He is different from Francis in that most of Anthony's
life was spent in solitude. He saw the world completely covered with snares,
and gave the Church and the world the witness of solitary asceticism, great
personal mortification and prayer. But no saint is antisocial, and Anthony
drew many people to himself for spiritual healing and guidance.

Redeem us, Lord, because of your mercy.  ~Psalm 44

A leper came to him and kneeling down begged him and said, "If you wish, you
can make me clean." Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand,
touched the leper, and said to him, "I do will it. Be made clean." ~Mark
1:40-45

How wonderful it would be to be really powerful. Jesus was powerful, but he
used all His power to help and heal others and to draw people to the Father.
This power is shared with us through our Baptism.  We can use this power to
glorify God as well.

I pray that I may know God's power, and be aware that it is active in me as
well.  I pray that I may use this power to glorify God, to heal when I can,
and bring others closer to Him.