This weekend

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:58:48 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/02/07 17:04:55
To: Fr. Pat Umberger
Subject: Weekend of 10 and 11 November 2007

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.

R A F F L E    C A L E N D A R
$16,800 in Prizes!

2008 Adesse Raffle Calendars are now available!  There are daily drawings
from 01 January-31 December 2008.  Calendars are $25. You'll be a winner
because you'll be helping our parish . . . and you might win a prize as
well!  If you're interested, just visit our Parish Web Site to see the
calendar, prizes and more . . . and fill out the easy form there and we'll
save some for you!  Just follow the banner link from: www.stpatz.com

P R A Y    F O R    U S
We'll be in the Holy Land through Thursday, 15 November.  Keep us in your
prayers and know that you're in ours, at Mass, during the Rosary and in the
many Holy places we visit!

F A M I L Y    A N D   F R I E N D S
Encourage them to Subscribe to Morning Prayer!

If you enjoy the NEW Morning Prayer, why not forward a copy to family
members and friends. Many seem to enjoy the new format.  Some say that they
like to attend Daily Mass, but cannot always do so.  Morning Prayer keeps
them in touch with the daily Scriptures and Saint of the day. Not all
priests preach on all weekdays. Morning Prayer provides a short reflection
and a concrete way to apply Scriptures to our lives. Clergy too, appreciate
the simple ideas found in both Morning Prayer and This Weekend.  Family
members and friends can learn more by following the banner link from:

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 7 , Number 11-11 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Thirty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C.
Weekend of 10 and 11 November 2007

Follow this link for this weekend's Scriptures:

   www.nccbuscc.org/nab/

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N   Q U E S T I O N S  :=.

"We are ready to die rather than transgress the laws of our ancestors." What
would we be ready to die for?  Are there people we'd be willing to die for.
Who?

"May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who has loved us and
given us everlasting encouragement and good hope through his grace,
encourage your hearts and strengthen them in every good deed and word." In
what ways do our hearts need encouragement and strength?

"But the Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the
evil one."  Why is this so comforting?  Who is the evil one from whom we
need guarding?

"Some Sadducees, those who deny that there is a resurrection, came forward
and put this question to Jesus."  How would things change if we didn't
believe there was a resurrection from the dead?  What would our faith mean
if Jesus hadn't risen from the dead?  How is the belief in resurrection a
comfort?  A challenge?

"He is not God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive."
How is it hard for us to fathom this?  How doe this make us want to
experience eternal life?

How are these readings challenging?  Comforting?

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  These Reflection Questions are found each week
at the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

This is the month when we pray for those who have died.  How comforting it
is for us to have a faith that tells us that our prayers on their behalf are
helpful to them.  How valuable it is that they can continue to help us from
their places in Heaven.  We can pray for them when we come to Church. Still,
we'd like there to be proof!

In all of our readings this weekend, we hear about life that lasts forever.
The Sadducees in our Gospel reading don't believe there is such a thing.
It's human nature to want proof.  There are many things we know through
faith.  As Saint Paul tells us that if we don't believe in the resurrection,
our faith is useless.  It's that critical.  The resurrection adds meaning to
every day of our lives.

We have received our faith from our ancestors.  They lived, had children and
raised their children within the Church.  They made it through indescribably
difficult times borne up by their faith.  In the worst of times they took
solace in the knowledge that their lives were not being lived in vain.  A
time would come when there was no more suffering, no more tears, no more
sadness.  Their lack of understanding would be replaced with absolute
clarity.  They would see their family members and friends again.  They would
see God face to face.

We live this day as God's children.  We do our best to set a worthy example
for our own children and grandchildren to follow.  We struggle with our own
questions about the meaning of life.  We too, look forward to the day when
the Lord comes again.

That's what the month of November is about.  We approach the end of the
Church year and reflect on the end of time as we know it.  As we commend our
deceased friends and relatives to the loving mercy of God, we prepare for
the time when we follow them.  Not of us know the day or the hour.  All we
can do is to live each day worthily.

As we hear in our Gospel reading for this weekend, Jesus said to them, "The
children of this age marry and remarry; but those who are deemed worthy to
attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry
nor are given in marriage. They can no longer die, for they are like angels;
and they are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise.

That the dead will rise even Moses made known in the passage about the bush,
when he called out 'Lord,' the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God
of Jacob; and he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all
are alive."

This week we can pray for our deceased family members and friends.  We can
make peace with those we have harmed and pray for the willingness to forgive
those who have harmed us.  We can live each day, ready for the coming of the
Lord ... ready for our lack of understanding to be permeated with sure
knowledge of God's love for us.  Have a good week!

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at
the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce them
for parish use as long as this credit remains.

<TW>This Weekend is free, and comes from:

You can also set your account to
Vacation Mode there.