This Weekend

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:13:01 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/02/07 17:20:42
Subject: Weekend of 17 and 18 November 2007

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.

R A F F L E    C A L E N D A R
$16,800 in Prizes!

2008 Adesse Raffle Calendars are now available!  There are daily drawings
from 01 January-31 December 2008.  Calendars are $25. You'll be a winner
because you'll be helping our parish . . . and you might win a prize as
well!  If you're interested, just visit our Parish Web Site to see the
calendar, prizes and more . . . and fill out the easy form there and we'll
save some for you!  Just follow the banner link from: www.stpatz.com

I N    T H E    H O L Y    L A N D
We're in the Holy Land until late on Thursday, 15 November.  Keep us in your
prayers.  You'll be in ours, at daily Mass, during the Rosary and at the
many Holy places we'll visit!

F A M I L Y    A N D   F R I E N D S
Encourage them to Subscribe to Morning Prayer!

If you enjoy the NEW Morning Prayer, why not forward a copy to family
members and friends. Many seem to enjoy the new format.  Some say that they
like to attend Daily Mass, but cannot always do so.  Morning Prayer keeps
them in touch with the daily Scriptures and Saint of the day. Not all
priests preach on all weekdays. Morning Prayer provides a short reflection
and a concrete way to apply Scriptures to our lives. Clergy too, appreciate
the simple ideas found in both Morning Prayer and This Weekend.  Family
members and friends can learn more by following the banner link from:

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 7 , Number 11-18 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C.
Weekend of 17 and 18 November 2007

Follow this link for this weekend's Scriptures:

   www.nccbuscc.org/nab/

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N   Q U E S T I O N S  :=.

"But for you who fear my name, there will arise the sun of justice with its
healing rays."  What does it mean to "fear" the Lord's name?  What kind of
healing could the "sun of justice" do?  To us personally?  To the world?

"The Lord comes to rule the earth with justice."  How would things change if
the world were ruled with "justice?"  Would we like those changes?  Why or
why not?

"We wanted to present ourselves as a model for you, so that you might
imitate us."  Are our lives worthy of imitation?  Paul speaks these words to
the Thessalonians.  What do the say about the life-style of Paul and his
friends?

"We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a disorderly way,
by not keeping busy but minding the business of others."  Could these words
be spoken of us?

"You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head
will be destroyed. By your perseverance you will secure your lives."  What
is patient endurance?  How can we rely on the Lord to give us the words to
say during difficult times?

How are these readings challenging?  Comforting?

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  These Reflection Questions are found each week
at the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

As we approach the end of our Church year, our Scriptures speak of the end
of time.  We are called to patiently endure.  We are told we can anticipate
the "sun of justice and its healing rays."  We know the Lord will come
again.  We are called as God's people to prepare and get ready for that
second coming.

Our Scriptures talk to us about the "sun of justice."  Our Psalm response
is, "The Lord comes to rule the world with justice."  We might say, "I can
hardly wait for that to happen."  After all, shouldn't we yearn for justice.
We certainly should.  It's more difficult to do that though, when we live as
the favored ones.

A small number of people on this planet control most of the world's wealth.
Most of those people live in the United States.  We don't know the kind of
poverty suffered by those who live in other places.  Most of us can go home
and eat lunch or dinner.  We can do so surrounded by four walls.  We have a
refrigerator, stove, a table and food to put on it. Even many of those in
our country who live on welfare payments can have a clean and safe place to
live, a color TV set, transportation, heat and even air-conditioning.

In the eyes of the world we are "rich."  Some of us are dismayed by the many
beggars that approach us when we walk the streets of foreign countries. Even
though we don't see ourselves as "rich," many of us have the means to take a
week or two off, buy a plane ticket and stay in a hotel.  We also have the
freedom to move from place to place.  We can vote.  We can speak our mind.
We can worship where we like.

Does our life-style promote justice?  What would the world look like if
there were true "justice?"  Would we be free to keep all of our property? In
what ways would we be responsible to the poor?  Can we live as we do without
feeling the injustice in the world and the many people who lack freedom,
rights, and even the food to keep their children and themselves alive?

As we prepare for Jesus' second coming, we need to become more aware of
those who being treated unjustly.  We can open our eyes and our hearts. We
can pitch in with our resources too, to make things better for others.
That's what Jesus' disciples did.  That's what we are called to do as well.

This week we can thank God for all we have been given.  We can consider
those who have a great deal less.  In our thanksgiving we can be motivated
to make things better for others.  Have a good week!

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at