<TW>Weekend of 20 and 21 October 2007

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:47:09 -0500

.=:  T H I S    W E E K E N D  :=.

If you enjoy the NEW Morning Prayer, why not forward a copy to family
members and friends. Many seem to enjoy the new format.  Some say that they
like to attend Daily Mass, but cannot always do so.  Morning Prayer keeps
them in touch with the daily Scriptures and Saint of the day. Not all
priests preach on all weekdays. Morning Prayer provides a short reflection
and a concrete way to apply Scriptures to our lives. Clergy too, appreciate
the simple ideas found in both Morning Prayer and This Weekend.  Family
members and friends can learn more by following the banner link from:

.=:  V O L U M E   2 0 0 7 , Number 10-21 :=.

.=:  T H I S   W E E K E N D ' S   S C R I P T U R E S  :=.

Twenty-Ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C.
Weekend of 20 and 21 October 2007

Follow this link for this weekend's Scriptures:

   www.nccbuscc.org/nab/

.=:  R E F L E C T I O N   Q U E S T I O N S  :=.

"As long as Moses kept his hands raised up, Israel had the better of the
fight, but when he let his hands rest, Amalek had the better of the fight."
How can the Lord help us when we keep our minds and hearts raised to the
Lord?  When do we try to accomplish things on our own, without specifically
thinking of God?  Is that as effective as when we rely on the Lord for help?

"Moses' hands, however, grew tired; so they put a rock in place for him to
sit on. Meanwhile Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one
on the other, so that his hands remained steady till sunset." Who are the
people who help us keep our hands raised up?  How do we do that for others?

"Our help is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."  When do we truly
remember this?  When is it easy for us to forget it?

"Remain faithful to what you have learned and believed, because you know
from whom you learned it, and that from infancy you have known the sacred
Scriptures, which are capable of giving you wisdom for salvation through
faith in Christ Jesus."  Do our children need to remain faithful?  To what?
How do we show them by our example, how to do that?

"Jesus told his disciples a parable about the necessity for them to pray
always without becoming weary."  When are we tempted to stop praying? Does
God answer all our prayers?  Does that mean God needs to do things our way?

How are these readings challenging?  Comforting?

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  These Reflection Questions are found each week
at the Web Site www.frpat.com. Feel free to link to this page or reproduce
them for parish use as long as this credit remains.

.=:  S P I R I T U A L   R E F L E C T I O N   :=.

As children it is natural for us to ask others for help.  When we develop in
strength and intelligence we ask for help less often. Sometimes we begin to
insulate ourselves and our families and even convince ourselves that we
don't have to depend on anyone.  Although we work for this, it can be a
lonely way to live.  When trouble comes, we need to go back to basics and
seek the help we need.

A troubling medical diagnosis, an accident, the illness or death of a loved
one, terrorism and war, all these things can destroy our complacency.  We
need help.  Where can we turn?  This weekend's Psalm response is, "Our help
is from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." God is more powerful than
anything that can harm us.  So ... we can always turn to God.

In our first reading we see Moses and his men in battle.  Moses found that
when his hands were raised up in prayer, his people had the better of the
fight.  When he let them fall, the tables turned.  When he became too tired
to hold up his hands, Aaron and Hur supported them.  Moses needed God's
help.  He also needed the help of his friends!

In our Gospel we hear about how important it is to be persistent in prayer.
We can't give up!  Sometimes we seek God's wisdom and strength through our
private prayer.  As we hear in our second reading, we need to remember and
remain faithful to what we have learned about God through Scripture.  Again,
we're admonished to be persistent.  Jesus has shown us the way that leads to
all good things.  We do much better if we remember the path Jesus walked and
strive to walk that path ourselves.

We can't do it alone!  We learn this lesson as we grow a little older. Our
prayer to God is good.  Still, we need others.  God works through them as
well.  We can share what is going on inside of us.  We can ask the help of
others.  We can appreciate God's work through their hands. Moses, in our
first reading, became too tired to hold up his hands.  If he had insisted on
doing it alone they would have lost the battle.  He allowed his friends to
help out.  That made all the difference.

In these uncertain times it is good for us to remember where our help comes
from.  It is important too, that we realize that we don't have to accomplish
everything on our own.  We're stronger when we come together as a family, a
faith community, a nation.  We offer what we can and gratefully receive what
others can contribute.  We don't have to be alone.  This week we can spend
some time thinking of these things.  We might be able to identify the need
to allow others to help us.  We can pray for the willingness too, to allow
them to do so.  We can keep our wits about us as we realize that today and
every day, we are in God's loving care.  Have a good week!

(c)MMVII Fr. Pat Umberger.  This Spiritual Reflection is found each week at