Saturday, 04 July 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:11:55 -0500 (CDT)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Elizabeth of Portugal (1271-1336)
Elizabeth is usually depicted in royal garb with a dove or an olive
branch. At her birth in 1271, her father, Pedro III, future king of
Aragon, was reconciled with his father, James, the reigning monarch. This
proved to be a portent of things to come. Under the healthful influences
surrounding her early years, she quickly learned self-discipline and
acquired a taste for spirituality. Thus fortunately prepared, she was able
to meet the challenge when, at the age of 12, she was given in marriage to
Denis, king of Portugal. She was able to establish for herself a pattern
of life conducive to growth in God?s love, not merely through her
exercises of piety, including daily Mass, but also through her exercise of
charity, by which she was able to befriend and help pilgrims, strangers,
the sick, the poor?in a word, all those whose need came to her notice. At
the same time she remained devoted to her husband, whose infidelity to her
was a scandal to the kingdom.

The disciples of John approached Jesus and said, "Why do we and the
Pharisees fast much, but your disciples do not fast?" Jesus answered them,
"Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them?
The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then
they will fast. ~Matthew 9:14-17

Sometimes when we ask the question "Why?," it comes with a judgement. Yet
Jesus is patient with the questioners and gives them the benefit of the
doubt.  Even though they know much, as disciples of John the Baptist, they
still have much to learn. And so do we.

I pray that I may be careful when I ask God "Why?"  I pray that I may be
open to His wisdom and that I may summon the courage to do His will, even
though I do not completely understand.