Morning prayer Nov.9

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:26:06 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/02/07 17:40:22
Subject: Friday, 09 November 2007

I N    J E R U S A L E M    A N D    M A S A D A
Today we drive to Masada and ascend by cable car to the magnificent runs of
the fortress where, from 70 to 73 AD, Jewish defenders made their last stand
in the Judean revolt against Rome.  We see the remains of storehouses,
cisterns and a sixth-century Byzantine church.  On our return to Jerusalem,
we make a brief stop at the shore of the Dead Sea, 1300 feet below sea level
(the lowest spot on earth).  We have the opportunity to swim in the Dead Sea
before proceeding to the excavations of Qumran, the Essene community
connected with John the Baptist and the site of the caves where the Dead Sea
Scrolls were found.

I N    T H E    H O L Y    L A N D

I'm leading a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and will return late on Thursday,
15 November.  Margie, our Pastoral Minister will be sending Morning Prayer
in my absence. No prayer intentions will be accepted at this time, since
Morning Prayer has already been prepared. Be assured that we'll remember
your intentions in our prayers, during our Daily Masses and in the many
important Churches we'll visit.  Please "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe" in the
way described at the bottom of this e-mail, since I won't have regular
Internet access in the Holy Land.

     From Father Pat Umberger

Dedication of St. John Lateran
St. John Lateran is actually the pope's main Church, the cathedral of the
Diocese of Rome.  The first basilica was built by Constantine in the fourth
century on land he had received from the wealthy Lateran family. Popes were
consecrated here until the popes returned from Avignon in the 14th century
to find the church and palace there in ruins. Pope Innocent X commissioned
the present structure there in 1646.  Beneath its high altar rest the
remains of the small wooden table on which tradition holds St. Peter himself
celebrated Mass.

"The angel brought me back to the entrance of the temple, and I saw water
flowing out from beneath the threshold of the temple toward the east for the
façade of the temple was toward the east; the water flowed down from the
southern side of the temple, south of the altar"  ~ Ezekiel 47: 1-2, 8-9, 12

"Brothers and sisters: You are God's building.  According to the grace of
God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another
is building on it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it, for
no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus
Christ."  ~ First Corinthians 3:9c-11, 16-17

We are the building stones of the Church.  Jesus Christ is the corner stone.
The Lord has chosen and consecrated this house that his name may be there
forever.

I pray that I may appreciate my high calling.  I pray that I may live as a
worthy building stone of the Body of Christ!