Morning Prayer for Thursday Jan. 10

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:15:00 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 01/05/08 11:23:39
Subject: Thursday, 10 January 2008

I ' M    A T    G U A D A L U P E
I'll be in Mexico City from 07-18 January.  Keep me in your prayers, and
know you'll be remembered in mine as well.  I'll remember your intentions
remembered at Guadalupe, daily Mass and during visits to the many Churches
of Mexico City.  Since Morning Prayer is already prepared, Prayer Intentions
will not be included with Morning Prayer during this time. Margie, our
Pastoral Minister, will send Morning Prayer in my absence.  You cannot
e-mail Margie by replying to this e-mail, but may do so by e-mailing
marge@xxxxxxxxxxx If you'd like to "unsubscribe" during this time, just
follow the directions at the bottom of this e-mail.  I cannot do it for you
during this time away.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Gregory of Nyssa (c. 330-395)
The son of two saints, Basil and Emmilia, young Gregory was raised by his
older brother, St. Basil the Great, and his sister, Macrina, in modern-day
Turkey. Gregory's success in his studies suggested great things were ahead
for him. After becoming a professor of rhetoric, he was persuaded to devote
his learning and efforts to the Church. By then married, Gregory went on to
study for the priesthood and become ordained (this at a time when celibacy
was not a matter of law for priests).  For more, click the link below:

Beloved, we love God because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love
God," but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a
brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.  ~1 John
4:19-5-4

He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The
Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad
tidings to the poor.  ~Luke 4:14-22

Our Scriptures these days reflect on love, and the fact that we can't say we
love God when we bear resentments against those around us. This can be a
difficult message to hear.  Still, it is true ... we can become willing to
let go of our resentments and then be willing to enjoy a closer loving
relationship with God.

I pray that I may see my love for God connected with love for others.  I
pray that I may become willing to let go of hatred, that God can take it
from me and draw closer to me in love.