Morning Prayer Wednesday,November 7

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:51:20 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/02/07 20:47:30
Subject: Wednesday, 07 November 2007

J E R U S A L E M    T O D A Y
This morning we visit the new City of Jerusalem, Mount Zion, the Upper Room,
the tomb of King David and the Dormition Abbey.  We view the Knesset
(Israeli Parliament) and then visit Yad Vahsem, a memorial of the Holocaust.
We continue to Bethlehem for Holy Mass and to visit the Church the activity,
the Manger, Crusader's Cloister and the Grotto of St. Jerome.  Then we visit
the cave at the Shepherd's Field and view the Fields of Boaz.  En route to
Jerusalem we see the Tomb of Rachel.  Keep us in your prayers this holy day,
and know you're remembered in ours as well!

I N    T H E    H O L Y    L A N D

I'm leading a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and will return late on Thursday,
15 November.  Margie, our Pastoral Minister will be sending Morning Prayer
in my absence. No prayer intentions will be accepted at this time, since
Morning Prayer has already been prepared. Be assured that we'll remember
your intentions in our prayers, during our Daily Masses and in the many
important Churches we'll visit.  Please "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe" in the
way described at the bottom of this e-mail, since I won't have regular
Internet access in the Holy Land.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Didacus (1400-1463)
He joined the Secular Franciscans as a young man and had great insight into
God's ways.  He performed heroic penances and was so generous to the poor
that the friars grew uneasy.  He volunteered for the missions in the Canary
Islands. He eventually went to Spain and finished his life in contemplation.
San Diego, California was named after him.  We was canonized in 1588.

"The commandments ... are summed up in this saying, namely You shall love
your neighbor as yourself." ~ Romans 13:8-10

"In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions
cannot be my disciple."  ~Luke 14:25-33

We can easily allow our possessions to possess us.  We grow emptier inside
as we allow relationships with our own families to suffer.  Our focus on
what we want becomes all-consuming.  We cannot live as God's children until
perspective returns, and we use the things of this world to love our
neighbor as ourselves.

I pray that I may come to realize that my emptiness can be as sign of my
focus on myself and what I want.  I pray that I can live life more simply,
giving of myself and what I have to love my neighbor as myself.