Morning Prayer Sunday Nov.11

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:11:40 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/02/07 20:47:33
Subject: Sunday, 11 November 2007

L E A V I N G    F O R    T I B E R I A S
After breakfast we depart Jerusalem and may have the opportunity to visit
Jericho, the world's oldest city. From the excavated tel on top the ruins of
ancient Jericho we view the lush green Jordan Valley, Elisha's sprint and
Quarantal, the Mount of Temptation.  We travel along the Jordan River where
we renew our baptismal promises before continuing on to Bet Shean where King
Saul and his sons were pinned to the walls.  It became the Decapolis Capital
visited by Jesus known as Scythopolis.  We see the ancient theatre, Circus
Maximus and Cardo Maximo.  In the afternoon we arrive in Tiberias where we
take a relaxing boat ride across the lovely Sea of Galilee to Capernaum,
then visit Tabgha and the Church of St. Peter's Primacy, where Jesus
appeared after the Resurrection.

I N    T H E    H O L Y    L A N D

I'm leading a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and will return late on Thursday,
15 November.  Margie, our Pastoral Minister will be sending Morning Prayer
in my absence. No prayer intentions will be accepted at this time, since
Morning Prayer has already been prepared. Be assured that we'll remember
your intentions in our prayers, during our Daily Masses and in the many
important Churches we'll visit.  Please "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe" in the
way described at the bottom of this e-mail, since I won't have regular
Internet access in the Holy Land.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Martin of Tours (316?-397)
Martin was a conscientious objector who wanted to be a monk; a monk who was
maneuvered into being a bishop; a bishop who fought paganism as well as
pleading for mercy for heretics.  To learn more about Martin, click the link
below:

One of the brothers, speaking for the others, said: "What do you expect to
achieve by questioning us? We are ready to die rather than break the laws of
our ancestors."  ~ 2nd Macabbees 7:1-2, 9-14

"May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the endurance of
Christ."  ~Thessalonians 2:16-3:5

"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are
alive." ~ Luke 20:27-38

The brothers in our first reading today are willing to be tortured and die,
rather than transgress the laws of their ancestors. Some Sadducees in the
Gospel deny the resurrection of the dead and try to stump Jesus with a
complicated case. Jesus cuts to the core as he says, "He is not the God of
the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive."

I pray that I may have reverence of God's law.  I pray that I may have the
courage to make decisions based upon the law of God.