Morning Prayer Sat. Nov. 10

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:16:47 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 11/02/07 20:47:34
Subject: Saturday, 10 November 2007

B A C K    T O    J E R U S A L E M
Today we begin with a visit to the Shrine of the Book where we see the Dead
Sea Scrolls.  We have a chance to view the Model City of Jerusalem.  Then we
proceed to Ein Karem, birthplace of the John the Baptist and the Church of
the Visitation, where Mary uttered the words of the Magnificat. We continue
on to Emmaus, where Jesus was seen after his resurrection.  Nearby is Abu
Gosh where we visit the Crusader era Monastery that commemorates the journey
of the ark of God.  We visit Yad Hashmona, a Christian village in the
Jerusalem hills, where we visit the Biblical scriptures garden.

I N    T H E    H O L Y    L A N D

I'm leading a Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and will return late on Thursday,
15 November.  Margie, our Pastoral Minister will be sending Morning Prayer
in my absence. No prayer intentions will be accepted at this time, since
Morning Prayer has already been prepared. Be assured that we'll remember
your intentions in our prayers, during our Daily Masses and in the many
important Churches we'll visit.  Please "Subscribe" and "Unsubscribe" in the
way described at the bottom of this e-mail, since I won't have regular
Internet access in the Holy Land.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Leo the Great (d. 461)
Leo worked tireless as "Peter's successor," guiding his fellow bishops as
"equals in the episcopacy and infirmities." He had a strong conviction of
the importance of the Bishop of Rome in the Church.  He was one of the best
administrative popes of the ancient Church. He battled heresies and fought
doctrinal controversy. He also worked as a peacemaker, defending Rome
against barbarian attacks.  For more, follow the link below:

"I will praise your name forever, Lord."  ~ Psalm 145

"The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in
great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also
dishonest in great ones."  ~ Luke 16:9-15

We can make excuses sometimes and talk about white lies, and cheating or
taking just a little in order to keep up with other who do the same. Before
long we become dishonest in larger ways, like the Pharisees who sneered at
Jesus. We need to work for true wealth, preserve our good reputation, and
set a good example for those around us.

I pray that I may be rigorously honest.  I pray I can live my life in such a
way that I set a good example for others to follow.