<MP>Wednesday, 31 December 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:26:11 -0600 (CST)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P  R A Y E R  :=:
     ~From Father Pat Umberger

B A C K    I N    R O C H E S T E R
There were many adventures in Rochester today … with a CT Scan, implanting
of a new Central Line in my jugular vein, and the impending Chemo
treatments and Transplant.  Read much more at my blog, updated every day
at:  www.frpat.com/mayoblog

.=:  S A I N T    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

St. Sylvester I (d. 335)
When you think of this pope, you think of the Edict of Milan, the
emergence of the Church from the catacombs, the building of the great
basilicas, Saint John Lateran, Saint Peter’s and others, the Council of
Nicaea and other critical events. But for the most part, these events were
planned or brought about by Emperor Constantine.
  For more, follow this link:
http://www.americancatholic.org/features/SaintofDay/

.=:  S C R I P T U R E    O F    T  H E    D A Y  :=.

But you have the anointing that comes from the Holy One, and you all have
knowledge. I write to you not because you do not know the truth but
because you do, and because every lie is alien to the truth. ~1 John
2:18-21

A man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to
the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light,
but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens
everyone, was coming into the world. ~John 1:1-18

And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we saw his
glory, the glory as of the Father’s only-begotten Son, full of grace and
truth. ~John 1:1-18

.=: M E D I T A T I O N    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

We can say that John had a privileged position.  He is the one who was
sent from God to give testimony to the light.  Jesus is certainly the
light that came into the world, the Word that “became flesh and made His
dwelling among us.”  But we are privileged as well.  As we are told, the
first born into the Kingdom of God is greater than John. So we can live in
the light and testify to the light.  We have the anointing that comes from
the Holy One.  We are called to be committed to the truth, “because every
lie is alien to the truth.”

 .=: P R A Y E R    F O R    T H E    D A Y  :=.

I pray that I may live in the light of Christ and testify to the light.  I
pray that I may not be seduced by lies, but know how blessed I am to “have
the anointing that comes from the Holy one,” and to have “all knowledge.”
I pray that I may lead many closer to Christ by the light they see in me
and the example I set for them to follow.

I pray that I may always seek the truth.  I pray that I may be grateful
for John the Apostle, his privileged relationship with Jesus and all he
shares with us about God, His love for us and His call for us to love one
another.

We pray for the justice that leads to lasting peace, and for the
willingness to stand up for and defend life. We pray for all those being
called to Church vocations, that they may be willing to respond
generously.

Keep me in your prayers and know you are remembered in mine as well.  May
God continue to bless you and those you love, and keep you safe!

Father Pat
                    ~Be still and know that I am God.”  ~Psalm 46:10