<MP>Wednesday, 28 October 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:22:50 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Sts. Simon and Jude
Jude is so named by Luke and Acts. Matthew and Mark call him Thaddeus. He is
not mentioned elsewhere in the Gospels, except, of course, where all the
apostles are mentioned. Scholars hold that he is not the author of the
Letter of Jude. Actually, Jude had the same name as Judas Iscariot.
Evidently because of the disgrace of that name, it was shortened to "Jude"
in English. Simon is mentioned on all four lists of the apostles. On two of
them he is called "the Zealot." The Zealots were a Jewish sect that
represented an extreme of Jewish nationalism. For them, the messianic
promise of the Old Testament meant that the Jews were to be a free and
independent nation. God alone was their king, and any payment of taxes to
the Romans-the very domination of the Romans-was a blasphemy against God. No
doubt some of the Zealots were the spiritual heirs of the Maccabees,
carrying on their ideals of religion and independence. But many were the
counterparts of modern terrorists. They raided and killed, attacking both
foreigners and "collaborating" Jews. They were chiefly responsible for the
rebellion against Rome which ended in the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D.
70.  For more, follow the link below:

Through him the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple
sacred in the Lord; in him you also are being built together into a dwelling
place of God in the Spirit. ~Ephesians 2:19-22

When day came, he called his disciples to himself, and from them he chose
Twelve, whom he also named Apostles: Simon, whom he named Peter, and his
brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the
son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called a Zealot, and Judas the son of James,
and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor. ~Luke 6:12-16

The Church of God is built on the foundation of Jesus Christ with the
Apostles. Our Church is One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic.  We can value our
heritage, call upon the strength of the Apostles and seek courage to carry
on their work in the world today.

I pray that I may value the Apostles and my heritage.  I pray that I may
take my place and continue to build the Church of God in the world today.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Judy asks prayers for a special intention. Irene asks prayers for a special
intention. Joyce ask for prayers for healing and strength for her daughter
who will have chemo tomorrow.

Debbie asks for prayers for trust in her marriage to be restored.  Rich
asked that the Holy Spirit come down and touch his with and return her to
God, Church and Family. Jane asks prayers for her aunt who was diagnosed
with liver cancer and her nephew who is recovering from a traumatic brain
injury.

Ellen asks prayers for her sister who had a cardiac stent procedure. Nancy
from PA requests prayers for her daughter who will be having foot surgery on
Wednesday that it may give her relief from pain and she will be able to walk
normally. Nan requests prayers for a very special intention. A member
requests prayers for a young mother who has stage four breast cancer, that
she may be healed.