<MP>Wednesday, 28 April 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:46:34 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

$2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse
SHEET ARE NOW ONLINE! - SIGN UP NOW!
be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin. 18 or fewer
seats from La Crosse are available. If you're interested visit my Web Site
and sign up for informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

St. Peter Chanel (1803-1841)
Anyone who has worked in loneliness, with great adaptation required and with
little apparent success, will find a kindred spirit in Peter Chanel. As a
young priest he revived a parish in a "bad" district by the simple method of
showing great devotion to the sick. Wanting to be a missionary, he joined
the Society of Mary (Marists) at 28. Obediently, he taught in the seminary
for five years. Then, as superior of seven Marists, he traveled to Western
Oceania where he was entrusted with a vicariate. The bishop accompanying the
missionaries left Peter and a brother on Futuna Island in the New Hebrides,
promising to return in six months. He was gone five years. Meanwhile, Pedro
struggled with this new language and mastered it, making the difficult
adjustment to life with whalers, traders and warring natives. Despite little
apparent success and severe want, he maintained a serene and gentle spirit
and endless patience and courage. A few natives had been baptized, a few
more were being instructed. When the chieftain's son asked to be baptized,
persecution by the chieftain reached a climax. Father Chanel was clubbed to
death, his body cut to pieces. Within two years after his death, the whole
island became Catholic and has remained so. Peter Chanel is the first martyr
of Oceania and its patron.

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set
apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
Then, completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them and sent
them off. ~Acts 12:24-13:5a

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me believes not only in me
but also in the one who sent me, and whoever sees me sees the one who sent
me. I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me
might not remain in darkness. ~John 12:44-50

The Holy Spirit continues to work, calling people to God.  And these people
received strength and courage and answered the call. In our Gospel today
Jesus reminds people that whoever sees Him sees the One who sent Him. He
calls people out of darkness into His own wonderful light.

I pray that I may heed the call the Holy Spirit and receive from God the
strength to respond.  I pray that I may come out of my darkness into the
wonderful light of Christ!

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

We pray for those preparing for Sacraments, especially our 53 candidates for
Confirmation who will rehearse tonight.  We pray for those receiving
Confirmation and First Communion, especially the second graders in our CCD
Program who will receive First Communion this weekend.